Monday, February 7, 2011

All's Well That Ends Poorly..

Well that was fun..

Now that the year of ZachsCast fiasco has come and gone, and it's like when DC Comics did that whole "52/A YearLater" thing and a year later everybody was like, "meh," I wonder if I should drag my sorry butt back over here and just pick up where I left off..?

For anyone who doesn't know, which is pretty much everybody, this past year since Groundhog Day of 2010 I was working with a buddy creating a website called ZachsCast where I did audio blogs and linked to youtube vids and occasionally even posted text like I'm doing now. The idea was to take what I'd been doing here and expand it. See if there was an audience for my unique brand of idiocy. I trudged along as best I could, with sputters and restarts, until Feb 3rd of this year. About four days ago. The last recording I made was that day. I uploaded it without a hitch. Several hours later, the website went down. Not with a bang or even a whimper.

As it turns out, in cyberspace, no one can hear you fail.

All the work I did for the past year is gone. I can't get any of it back. That's what I get for partnering with a guy who disappeared three months into the project. Seemed like a good idea at the time. How was I to know? I still have copies of the audio files, but I have no place to put them online, and even if I did, they have bumper music in them that I don't own, so I guess if those ever see the light of day again, the guy in question could sue me. I can't afford getting sued. If I ever win the lottery, I still won't be able to afford being sued. So it's like all the work of the past year never existed. It never happened.

No great loss. I think three ppl may have noticed what I was doing over there. That more than anything is probably why my partner fled. Like when rats leave a sinking ship. I told the guy up front I ain't doing this to be famous or make money. I pretty much do it cuz I can't not do it, and if I happen to get an audience along the way that's gravy. I've been online in one form or another for over fifteen years. I can't stop now.

Back last May I thought about doing a music project at ZachsCast where I'd critique and showcase some of my favorite local artists. I got their permission to include their music in the podcast, but I never actually got around to finishing that project. I was in production. Got some early taping down, but didn't upload any of their material. I didn't like how it was shaping up in early passes, and at about that time I was beginning to smell something rotten in Denmark regarding the situation or my partner's lack of details regarding his motives for helping me or future plans, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I couldn't tell what was wrong, and his lack of communication has left me in the dark. I could just sense something was off. In hindsight I'm glad. I don't understand the legalities very well, but if I end up regretting what happened in 2010 with the podcast, I don't want to drag anyone I love down with me. So all's well that ends well, I suppose.

Audio wise I still have cinch. You can find me there. I also have my twitter page, facebook, vyou, youtube, tumblr, and a few other places here and there. I'm not going away. I'm just downsizing. It was nice to have somebody who believed in me for awhile, or at least pretended to believe in me, but maybe that's not what I need. Like a crazy old man on a street corner shouting from a megaphone, maybe all I need is some time, some space, and my own unique brand of crazy.

It's curious that this Blogger site is still here. I've gone to other places over the years but somehow I always wind up back here. I can remember many years ago I met the Blogger team in Austin and I thought I'd be welcomed with open arms. That was a sobering experience. The response was anywhere from "who are you" to "omg you suck get away from me." Good times.

Turns out I suck. *shrug* I guess they haven't noticed me in this small corner of their great empire, scratching at the dirt. I'm not bothering anybody. I'll leave them alone. I hope they'll leave me alone.

I think I still have that Blogger shirt around here somewhere. They were giving out free ones. It never really fit me, but beggars can't be choosers.

No comments: